Darkness is replaced with light.

So I was heading to work this Halloween. Looking around to spot some trick-or-treaters. Zombies, witches, or demons. The occasional princess or dragon. I'm really not one for Halloween, but instead await its passing with eagerness, as the happy holiday spirit comes in.
Carter and I designated November 1, as the official start-of-Christmas decorating day. But before reacting with cries in defense of thanksgiving, hear me out in my newfound understanding of the symbolism I found in this time of year.
Halloween in a way celebrates darkness, terror, and evil. Again, not really my thing. But it struck me that a day of darkness gives way to the first day of light. I think of the earth before Christ's resurrection. I think of three days of darkness in the Americas. Disarray, confusion, loss. The world would be darkness without the Savior.
But the thick darkness gave way to incomprehensible light as the Savior was born. Again as He rose from the grave. And so for me, the transition from Halloween to Christmas is a significant one. Acknowledging the darkness that is there. The fright, the worry, the unknown. But as one day closes, another opens again. With the Savior's appearance, light comes flooding in. To the world, the season, to our individual selves if we let Him. That light is enough to extinguish all the fear, darkness, and hate previously known to us. It may be a slow process. It may take time after time of returning to Him again. But ultimately, his light replaces the darkness within us.
And so this is why I celebrate the Savior's birth. Because that event changed the world, changed every one of our lives, whether we acknowledge it or not. His light is so strong that even the weakest in faith cannot always deny that the sun still shines.
Some say that I can't forgo Thanksgiving in my excitement for Christmas. But this is my Thanksgiving. For what could I give greater thanks than my Savior? He came to earth, gave everything, so that I could have all I have. So I can have my family forever. So I can grow and learn from my mistakes. I can be comforted. I can look forward with hope, confidence, and knowledge that He is with me.
I think the Christmas season needs more thanks involved. What has our celebration of the Lord's birth been turned to? Greed, pride, flashy contests of festivity. I love the lights, the music, and the tree. But do we get too caught up in all this stuff? I remember when I was younger, the toy magazines would start flooding in the mailbox about this time of year. I remember my baby brother, maybe 4 years old, already thumbing through its pages circling the endless list of things he must have. And I think this happens to all of us. We get caught up in "I want". We make lists. We stress over finances, arranging our wallets so we can meet the quota on what to spend on children, siblings, parents, or friends. People go into debt. And it amounts to what? The Christmas hangover on December 26? A room filled with a bit more stuff, but a heart left mostly the same?
My absolute favorite Christmas was the year before my mission. My parents were planning a family trip to Europe, so we had decided on a Christmas of homemade gifts. Everyone sought unique ideas and spent thoughtful hours working on those special gifts. Come Christmas morning I expected the gifts to be sparse, for present time to pass quickly, for us to move to better things in a hurry. But I was thoroughly amazed by that Christmas morning. The amount of homemade and hand-wrapped gifts seemed to stretch three times the typical amount across the floor. There was such anticipation because of the excitement of giving. It wasn't about getting that new toy or game you'd asked for. You knew what you had been spending all your time preparing, and everyone was eager to see the expression of the others as they unwrapped those gifts. I have never felt such fulfillment on Christmas morning, and I want that to be the focus of my Christmas for the rest of my life.
We get so much because Christ lived. Because he gave His life out of love for us. Yet most of this is easily taken for granted. We not only forget what He has given, but also what we must give in return. But Christmas can be a time of remembrance. A special moment of redirecting, not distracting, our focus on Him. To remember all we have from Him. To learn even more of Him. And to give, love, and serve the way he did. It is not a perfect effort. But why not use the world's emphasis on Christmas to make some good out of it.
And so, for me, Thanksgiving and Christmas time are the same. I can use this "thanksgiving season" to contemplate, remember, and open my heart in gratitude. True, full gratitude leads to giving. "Freely ye have received, freely give". (Matthew 10:8). And that desire to give is what Christmas is all about.
So, you see, Thanksgiving and Christmas are best buddies. Maybe even placed sequentially out of inspiration... to help us see how thankful hearts should lead to giving. Don't let the excitement of black Friday turn your gratitude to greed and your love turn to disrespect. Remember why you are celebrating this time of year.
And don't just limit it to now. Let the spirit and light of Christ permeate through your entire life, every day and moment of the year. See how His light can chase away that darkness that so easily takes over.


And here we are on our first Christmas tree-cutting adventure!





What a handsome fellow! (Carter and the tree ;)


Comments

Popular Posts