Embracing the yoga. Attempting mindfulness

One of the most interesting things this semester is starting the yoga studies minor and certification. It has been fascinating and so different. In three different yoga classes and three weeks, we have not done any yoga asana work (the physical movement part of yoga most people know and think of). We have devoted all this time to the concepts and philosophy behind yoga... and wow is there a lot to yoga! I knew yoga was about mindfulness, action, wholeness, breath and meditation... but it was never a focus of my practice. But after a few class discussions I'm starting to see how much more there is to yoga practice. It is not just a fitness class. That's really not what it was intended to be at all. It is a way of life. A philosophy. An unbiased, unobstructed view of oneself and the world.
Yoga is fascinating.

It has been exciting to see my perspective already changing. My intro to yoga teaching is once a week. We are introduced to a new topic, then asked to meditate on the application of this topic during the week. See where it fits in to our life, see how and where to apply it. I am in love with this approach.
We have discussed a lot about yoga. Which, at this point, I feel so lacking in my understanding that I don't dare to give my definition or talk to much about what this means. For now, I'm the learner who is doing all I can to understand and apply the new things we learn.
It is the most unique university experience I have had. But it is refreshing in how applied it is. It is not about passing or failing a test. It is about understanding of these concepts so we can truly live them.
So this week we discussed a lot about mindfulness. Too often we go through life acting out a series of habits. We tend to zone out of what we are really experiencing. We go through the motions, acting and speaking in a certain way, yet not really experiencing what we do or say.
We say "I love you" out of habit. Whatever our expression of that love, it may be diluted with its habitual nature. Do we truly experience that love every time we say it? How often do we truly, deeply experience love? Anger? Frustration? Stress? Sadness? Discouragement? Joy?
So often we dilute these emotions. We downplay, even try to hide them. We conceal our anger, willing it to go away, yet failing to recognize that it, too, is a natural process that we would do well to acknowledge.
This week, yoga has taught me to experience my emotions. Don't hide or run from any of them. Don't dwell in any of them, or try to cling to or chase one when its moment is spent. Truly live. Experience what you are experiencing. If necessary, take a step back to be the objective viewer. Am I happy with this reaction to events? If not, acknowledge where I want to change. But don't hide what I am feeling. Allow every moment to be truly lived.
It goes past emotions, too. When I walk through campus, take the bus to work, prepare for bed, where is my mind? Again, am I zoned out of what I am experiencing? Am I truly living the experience of walking?
This has been my focus this week. Tuning in. While walking to the bus stop, I put my phone away. The moment I tuned in, I noticed crickets humming around me. There was a gentle breeze. The sun was just beginning to set. My back was tired from the weight of my back pack, yet eager to get home and relax. There were a million senses to be felt around me. So much I would have missed out on if lost in my maze of thoughts. Yoga is helping me to see how much there is around me. How much there is to be experienced in every moment around me.
Because life is for living. Life is composed of moments, each as important as the next. Will I go through life on autopilot? On cruise control as I forget to marvel in the beauty of the path? The new goal is to open up just a little more. Being mindful of everything going on is a bit to ask. But listening, observing, smelling, feeling- these are things I can tune into. If I am happy, let myself experience the happiness. If someone else is happy, sad, whatever it may be- let them experience. Don't let my experience blind my judgment, but allow them to feel their emotion. Join in. Help each other be mindful, accept the moment, and it live it as it is intended to be lived.

Life is not about seeing through rose-colored glasses. Life is not always  a "happily ever after" Disney movie. Despite whatever constructs society has given us, we can put our perspectives aside. Experiencing a hard day, stressful moment, or even chronic illness is not a bad thing. It is life and life is beautiful :) Life is to be lived, both good and "bad" moments.

So there's the idea of this week. Maybe take a minute yourself and think on it a bit. Maybe write yourself a little reminder. Be mindful. Live the moment, the emotion, the sensations you are feeling. Just soak it in and be grateful for the beauty and opposition that makes your life uniquely yours :)


Comments

Popular Posts