Fun ways to exercise without going to the smelly gym. ;)

I am not a gym goer. The atmosphere has never appealed to me and I always felt uneasy with all those experienced ripped people showing off their six packs. It was silly to me. And I usually feel so unnatural that I don't end up getting much of a workout anyway. It wasn't until this year that it actually clicked... I do not have to go to the gym to be fit or get my daily exercise!
Why use the cycling machine when I can go for a beautiful bike ride outdoors? Why not incorporate a more active lifestyle into my daily routine... rather than scheduling in that dreaded trip to the gym, just take extra steps to be active throughout the day. I think it really sparked with the "French movement" this year- my new determination to live more of the French lifestyle. And being more active throughout the day is part of that.
So here are some of the nice things I enjoy that have helped me to become more active over the past few months. I'm not a gym rat, but I don't want to be. I don't work out for the sake of sweating or getting a six pack. It's because it feels good (and I know it's good for my heart and health!). But really, I don't care about the sexy gym bod. So here's my discoveries.

Bikes. I love riding my bike to the store (when it's a smaller shopping trip) or sometimes to work. I think this is an awesome exercise because it only adds a few minutes on to the travel time I already had to do... but 10 extra minutes of travel means 20 minutes of being physically active rather than sitting even more. I find that it's helpful to find small trips like this and convert them to walking or biking... even taking the bus (which allows for a bit more walking than driving straight there). We are stuck in such sedentary lifestyles these days! And not only does this replace a small bit of our sitting with activity, but it also helps our happy earth :) . So save the air... ride your bike or walk instead of driving :)

We went on a nice Sunday walk through the canyon the other night! Carter loved it... even if he was a stinker for this picture.

Playing sports. This is an interesting one. And I'm sure all who know me chuckled in disbelief upon reading this as number two. But Carter and I started practicing soccer over the summer and it was so fun! Yes, I have always been poor at sports. But it was fun to start the day with some healthy competition and running around the field. Carter even got to teach me some cool tricks, and admitted I was progressing more than he thought possible (not sure to be offended or flattered with that comment ;). But really. so fun. Whatever the sport is, it's fun to explore new things. We also started playing racquetball together- another first for me. Interesting, yes, but so fun. We have laughed so hard and even shed some tears in those racquetball courts. So have some fun. Try something new with friends, spouse, family... or just join the random people who are already playing. It's pretty fun :)

Hike! This has been a favorite for a long time. It's one of those things I don't understand how some people can't love it. But if it were me I'd live out there and hike through the mountains to get to school and work if I could ;) A hermit life for me! ;) But really... there is so much beauty to be found, and such variety. Even a small hike is a beautiful, easy way to get some physical activity in. Plus, the fresh air and views are so healthy for your soul.


Swimming. Not sure I should put this down quite yet, as I'm still not sure it qualifies as a "fun" form of exercise. I plucked up the courage to enroll in a swim class this semester. Haha it's kind of terrifying. Humbling. Or at least it would be if I didn't already know I couldn't swim. But it's also kind of fun! I have only ever doggy paddled, so it's exciting to (slowly) see myself progress and learn to do some other swimming in the pool! It's actually a pretty ideal exercise... because you can work hard and get a good workout, but you won't see any sweat as it comes. Ideal ;) And slightly deathly at this point. But I do have hopes that it will go up from here. Really, taking any type of fitness class is a great idea (I think). I'm lucky to have so many available here at USU. Not everywhere is that the case. But it is so fun to learn new things with a group of people and slowly (very slowly) broaden my horizons. It's good to learn something new. You never know when you'll find a favorite!

Yoga. This has been a favorite for quite some time. And my practice has varied greatly in that time. On my mission it consisted of laying on the floor stretching one leg at a time, sleepy-eyed and trying hard not to fall asleep. Some awesome yoga teachers (and recovering from my mission) helped me better form my own practice... only to have it rethought all over again with all these new yoga theory classes this semester. I don't think yoga was intended to be an exercise, and the westernized version of yoga class appears far from what the yogis invented. But regardless of how you practice, it is a wonderful start to your day. A good way of warming your body up and preparing for what's coming. And you can do what you want with it. I have taken slow-moving yoga classes and others where my abs were on fire. So do what you want for it. But I believe everyone should give yoga a chance ;)

So there are some of my latest finds! And there are more I'd like to try too.. We really want to get into rock climbing. I am also dying to take the paddle board out and do some paddle board yoga. The list goes on with so many options. So find what works for you :)

How about you? What ways do you find to stay active during the day? What can you do better??

Comments

Popular Posts