Paris dans la pluie! :)

Paris was actually quite lovely. More so than I expected. My past impression of Paris wasn't too great. It had been fine, beautiful, lovely, but not comparable to the other places I visited while in France (probably because I visited just after having been in Hardelot ;) ) But I was glad to turn my perception of Paris around after visiting last week :) Paris is stressful with 8 people, and not always perfect. Everyone has their own pace, their own ideas of what to visit, their own ideal day. But still I was able to have quite the enjoyable experience :) It worked well for me to spend most of my two days in Paris in a smaller group, navigating on my own without the worry of a big family getting lost. Day one I took charge of giving Nakita a little tour of some major sights. L'arc de Triomphe, Eiffel Tower, then a walk along the Seine, passing many other beautiful sights. Sainte Chapelle followed by Notre Dame. A beautiful and full day.  Day two was lovely. Lunch in the Versailles Palace gardens. A stressful drive through Paris centre ville. Musée de L'Orangerie. Walking the Seine with Heidi. Antique shops. Rain. Eiffel Tower at sunset. Picnic with Jacques et Nathalie. Paris at night. Driving around the sites. Paris in the rain. Lovely :)

I've since determined that I want to come back again. Maybe for a romantic getaway. Paris at night is pretty enjoyable actually :). Sometimes it is a loud, tourist-filled city. But it really is beautiful. It is full of history. The Seine is lovely. The museums are wonderful, the parks sublime.
Musée de L'Orangerie. Wow that leaves such an impression. I could go there every day. Such a beautiful place full of such beautiful art. It's smaller, more of a gallery. The first rooms contain Claude Monet's Nymphéas, or Water Lilies. Two ovular-shaped rooms, connected to form an infinity. A panorama of four large panels in each room. Possibly the most peaceful, tranquil, beautiful piece I have ever seen. It was remarkable the influence it had. Downstairs hosts a collection of Impressionist and Post-Impressionist paintings. Two of my favorite art styles. Monet, Renoir, Matisse, Manet, Matisse, Picasso. It was such a fulfilling experience. I feel that museum really had a profound effect on me.
And then the Seine. Heidi and I walked along the water's edge, enjoying the beautiful views of Paris and the more quiet atmosphere away from the busy streets. There were white tents set up along the river, full of people selling antiques- books, dishes, art. We saw such lovely things at the shops there. Heidi found some amazing things for her soon to be home :)
It rained. But we were able to make our way to the Eiffel Tower beneath a shared umbrella. A picnic looking up at the Eiffel Tower. Ca c'est magnifique. Vraiment. The Eiffel Tower at night. Really it is amazing. When it's all lit up and the rain is coming down softly, one can't help but wish for a romantic getaway to this beautiful city. Really, I think I'd actually love to go back :) I would recommend skipping the lines wherever possible. Avoid the extra-touristy areas and enjoy the smaller museums, the quiet of the gardens and the seine, and then make the necessary visit to the Eiffel Tower. Really, it is a beautiful and enjoyable place if you do it right :)

Sainte Chapelle.  Located in Paris. Honestly one of the most beautiful churches we've visited in our 6 1/2 weeks.




Notre Dame de Paris. Avec toute la famille :)
At Versailles Palace :)
La tour Eiffel :)
Picnic-ing under the tower :)
Beautiful. :)
Ooh la!


Paris by night :)
Crazy, loud, and tourist-y. But worth it if you can do it the right way :) J'aime Paris dans la pluie!

Comments

Popular Posts