Asian Honey Garlic Chicken (adapted recipe) :)

There's something truly wonderful and satisfying about having a full and happy belly... especially when you're a college student, because that doesn't happen every day down here ;). But tonight, is one of those nights... possibly one of the greatest since I've been at school. I found this Chinese Honey Garlic Chicken recipe on pinterest and made it with a few of my own adaptations that I think just enhanced it.... but do what you please with it! I'm sure either way it is just wonderful... this recipe is definitely a keeper.
excuse the bad photos, I promise it tastes much better than these photos make it seem... someday I'll have a really nice camera and know how to take good food photos :)



And here's the lovely recipe with my adaptations...
(or you can go to creme de la crumb for the original recipe)

INGREDIENTS
2-3 boneless skinless chicken breasts (I only used one chicken filet)
3 tablespoons oil
1/2 c. corn starch 
sauce:
2 tsp garlic
1/3 c. honey
1 tsp apple cider or white vinegar (I used white :)
1/2 c. water
1 tsp soy sauce
optional: 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes (I would definitely add this... I just did a couple shakes though without bothering to measure :)
corn starch slurry: 2 tbsp water + 1 tbsp corn starch
Optional: scallions, sesame seeds, rice
my additions:
I thought the sauce was a little too honey-ey for my personal preference, so I poured a really small drip of sesame oil as well as about a teaspoon of lemon juice. It made it perfect I thought!
Since I used less chicken and wanted the recipe to go further I added in some cabbage I had in my fridge (about 1 c.). Not only did this make it more than one meal's worth, but it added extra flavor and freshness... I think it was an overall improvement. I think it would be great to add other veggies too though.... whatever's in your fridge would probably taste great!

INSTRUCTIONS
Heat oil in a large pan or skillet over medium heat. Chop the chicken into bite sized pieces. Toss the chicken pieces in the corn starch. Cook the coated chicken in the preheated pan 6-8 minutes, stirring occasionally to ensure even cooking, until chicken is cooked through and crisp on the outside. (I didn't have oil... so I just cooked the chicken with a little butter and still with the corn starch... it still got pretty much the same flavor and texture, but was probably healthier than frying it :)
In a small sauce pan whisk together all sauce ingredients except for corn starch slurry. Bring to a boil. In a small bowl combine cold water and corn starch for the slurry. Add to boiling sauce. Reduce to a simmer and allow to cook a couple more minutes until thick. (This is where I added my lemon juice and sesame oil after tasting to see how I wanted it).
Add sauce to chicken and stir to coat. (This is where I added my cabbage and let it cook for a while until it cooked down and the sauce covered it all.)  I had mine with green onions, soy sauce, and white rice :)


Comments

Popular Posts